Sunday, March 1, 2009

My first day in Carbondale

Some people do not like to travel, while other people like to travel, in order compare places, countries or their cities with others that they I have been to. I am from Haiti, a tropical country. When I was in country, I lived in Carrefour, a city near Port-au-Prince which is the capita city. So now, I’m living in Carbondale, but believe it or not, living here is not an easy matter, because, it means to leave far from my country, my family, my friends, and those who share my everyday life. I want to share my experience that I think will be part of my whole life. Let me share with you, my first day in Carbondale and what I learn since I am here.I arrived in Carbondale, early on Sunday on January 10th. When I woke up in the morning, it was around 8:30 am, because I was very tired after this long trip from Port-au-Prince to Miami, and then from Miami to St Louis. As I usually do when I visited a new place, I wanted to do a tour of the place by my own, discover the city. When I went out the dormitory, even though I get a map, I walked from the North to the South, from the West to the East, but I could not find my way. I was very disappointed, because, I did not visited a campus before.Walking in Carbondale’s street was like a maze for me. After walking during half an hour, I, finally, decided to go back to the dormitory and waited for a student that I met during the trip from St Louis to Carbondale. She promised to help me with some procedures, because she is also international. This Sunday, I wanted to call home, because I wanted to talk to my mother, my fiancĂ©e, my friends, but I did not either have a cellular phone or know where to buy international cards. It was the first time in y life that I felt like isolated. This morning, I really miss home, the cold weather on my skin. It was like I dreamed a dream, not because I did not want to come to study in USA. To be frank, I wanted to go abroad to have my Master, but the reason was, as a human there nowhere someone may feel more comfortable than home, with his family, his friends. Since I am here I have experimented different feelings, tasted different dishes, and I had tried to remember some cooking’s recipes that I learnt from my mother. Sometimes when things seem to be very difficult, I think about home and sing some Haitian songs. So, I know that I learn a lot of new stuff, because there are lot of things which different here in USA, particularly in Carbondale, from my country, for example taxi and bus’s service, houses’ rent. I have to do almost all things by myself, manage my time, and stay in God’s presence. Overall I think, the experience at CESL is good, it is a prelude to American’s universities.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that you were able to learn form being here at CESL!

    ReplyDelete